Discover the area
Which things are there to do?
Harbour and Beach
If you leave the apartment and turn left, the Douzastraat leads you to Scheveningen harbour. With its numerous restaurants and café’s it is one of the hotspots of The Hague. Only a two minutes’ walk! Some of the restaurants at the Harbour we like:
- Catch by Simonis; A personal favourite. Lots of fish on the menu , nice wines and always crowded. You’ll have to make a reservation: +31 70 338 76 09
- Rootz at the Harbour; If you like beer, this is the place to go! Their homebrewed beer has won them the award of Best Beer 2015!
- Stella Marina; Italian restaurant with a very nice owner, fresh pasta’s , good pizza’s, closed on Wednesday.
- Waterproef; modern restaurant, named by Guide Michelin and famous for its wine menu. You’ll have to make a reservation: +31 70 358 87 70. Closed on Wednesday.
- Simonis aan de Haven; not at this harbour but near the second one. This is something else! Very crowded, unpretentious and fun restaurant, self service, big portions of fresh fish. Beautiful fish shop in the same building. Visafslagweg 20.
At the beach
The Hague has an enormous coastline, the boulevard and beach are about 15 minutes by foot from
Apt 34. The beach is really beautiful with its fine sand. There are a lot of nice beach clubs, take a lounge chair and watch the sunset or pay a visit to the famous Pier, with nice alternative bars, shops, music. The Pier has Free Entrance.
A ticket for the Big Wheel cost € 9,–. Some beach clubs are even open all year long!
Statenkwartier, shopping, dining, museums and Madurodam
At a 5 minutes’ walk, you’ll find The Hague’s most famous shopping street Frederik Hendriklaan, known by locals as “The Fred”. Nice little shops, restaurants, terraces and lunchrooms. At the Fred we have a variety of good bakery’s, butchers and other little specialised food shops. This quarter is very international orientated, expats and locals live together.
To get there, you leave the apartment , turn to the right, and to the right again on the Van Boetzelaerlaan. Take the crosswalk, the Willem de Zwijgerlaan leads you to the Frederik Hendriklaan.
Some good places:
- Boosty, at nr. 294, opens at 830 pm, Sunday at 9.00 pm. Serves lunch and breakfast, great salads and sandwiches. Good coffee too.
- Ibericus, at nr. 230, Spanish lunchroom, serves Iberian Ham and nice Spanish wines. Open from 10.00 – 18.00.
- Tasty, at nr. 58, an attractive, informal place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Opening Tuesday – Saturday, from 8.00 till 22.00, At Sunday 10.00 to 17.00 and Monday 8.00 to 17.00.
- Kicking Horse, at nr 17. At Paagman, The Hague’s most famous bookstore, you can have lunch or drink coffee at their Kicking Horse Café.While drinking your coffee you can enjoy small gigs and signing sessions too.
- De Sien, is a great place to go, when your looking for a good Dutch Pub. Its located at the Antonie Heinsiusstraat 39, a side street of the Frederik Hendrikplein. At the Sien, you’ll find a mix of locals and expats, drinking beers, and eating easy, well-prepared “pub food”. Very good value. Good atmosphere!
- Hudson Bar & Kitchen, located at the street at the extension of the Frederik Hendriklaan, the Aert van der Goesstraat 21-23. American dishes as burgers and ribs, nice bar.
- De Javaan, Aert van der Goesstraat 45. Indonesian kitchen, without a doubt one of the smallest restaurant you can find in The Hague. And they even have a terrace!
The Hague City Centre
Only 10 minutes by public transport brings you to the city centre.
Gemeentemuseum (Municipal Museum)
One of the best museums of the Netherlands, the “Gemeentemuseum”, also situated in the Statenkwartier , on a 10 minutes’ walk from Apt. 34,. Address Stadhouderslaan 41, very nearby The Frederik Hendriklaan. Here you will find, among other things, a great collection of the famous Dutch painter Piet Mondriaan. Besides that, they show often changing, high standard exhibitions. The building is designed by the well-known Dutch architect Berlage and was built in 1935. This museum is open from 11.00 tot 17.00.
Behind the museum in the garden you’ll find a beautiful located, small restaurant, Brasserie Berlage, also designed by the famous architect. A nice intimate place, serving French menus. In summertime the garden is a great place for a lunch. Official entrance at President Kennedylaan 1. Open Thuesday to Saturday for lunch and dining. Reservations: +31 70 338 76 22.
Fotomuseum Den Haag and GEM
Next to the Gemeentemuseum, you’ll find the Photo Museum Den Haag and Museum GEM for modern art. Two small museums in one building, interesting, modern, and creative!
With a screen that spans a massive 36 metres wide x 18 metres high Omniversum is the biggest movie theatre in The Netherlands. The size of the screen combines with a set of revolutionary projection systems, customised theatre geometry and 8,000 watts of digital surround sound to deliver the ultimate movie going experience. Don’t just watch the movie, become part of it! Also next to the Gemeentemuseum but on the corner President Kennedylaan.
Beelden aan Zee
Lovely museum on the sea shore, dedicated to modern sculpture. Nice, very nice located.
Address: Harteveltstraat 1
World famous miniature park. A TripAdvisor favourite.
The Hague City Centre
Tram 16, brings you in 13 minutes to the centre of The Hague, the stop most nearby Apt. 34 is at the Statenlaan, just around the corner of the Van Boetzelaerlaan. Leave Apt 34. Turn right. At the Van Boetzelaerlaan you turn left. After 3 minutes’ walk you will reach the Statenlaan. Turn Right, and you’ll see the tram stop.
Tram 11 brings you in 18 minutes to The Hague Holland Spoor Railway station.
Tram 11 has a stop at the Van Boetzelaerlaan/ Willem de Zwijgerlaan. A 4 minutes’ walk.
Bus 22 (direction Duinzigt), which stops at the end of the Douzastraat, will bring you to Madurodam and it’s only a 15 minutes ride.
Bus 22, bus stop at the end of the Douzastraat, direction Duinzigt. 5 stops from Madurodam.
If you need more information about getting around in The Hague, please let us know.
Food Delivery Service
Feel like staying in and not in the mood for cooking?
Use a food delivery service:
Very nearby, van Bergenstraat 39. As you leave the apartment turn left into the Douzastraat, first street right (Westduinweg) and then the first street left. Easy! Big new supermarket. Open until 10 am.
Lebanese delicacies. Traditional meals. Lovely food .We like this a lot. Nice family as well. Frederik Hendriklaan 115a.
On the corner of the Douzastraat and the Westduinweg, a small family runned Thai restaurant. They have a few tables.
Chinese. Willem de Zwijgerlaan 65a. lot of stars at TripAdvisor.
Indonesian food. Top 3 best Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands 2016. Frederik Hendriklaan 250.
International Organisations at the Statenkwartier
- Europol Eisenhowerlaan 73
- Eurojust Maanweg
- International gerechtshof Carnegieplein
- International Strafhof Oude Waalsdorperweg
- OPCW Johan de Wittlaan 32
- Joegoslavie tribunal Oude Waalsdorperweg 10
- Permanente hof van arbitrage Carnegieplein
- Europees octrooibureau